Math Team results leave members optimistic

Matt Petres

The implements that the math team used to move to sixth in the North Suburban Math League

Clare McRoberts, Reporter

The Math Team recently competed in a number of meets, bringing its overall ranking in the North Suburban Math League to sixth place and leaving team leaders optimistic about the future.

After the fourth of five NSML competitions on Feb. 7 and 8, U-High’s ninth graders took third place for their grade level and the team’s juniors placed fifth. The sophomores and juniors placed ninth and 10th, respectively.
More than 50 schools take part in the NSML competitions.

Tarini Mutreja, a senior and Math Team captain, said she was pleased with the team’s progress and hopeful about the March 10 NSML final.

“We have an incredibly strong team from every grade level,” Tarini said.

She described the team as uniquely collaborative, and said its leaders were especially “proud to be able to recruit way more freshmen, and also have a lot more females on the team, which is really great.”

Some team members also competed Feb. 8 in the American Invitational Mathematics Examination. Results of the competition have yet to be released, but 21 team members qualified to take part. The team also took part in the Illinois Math League competition on Feb. 15, but results were unavailable.