Ethics bowl team advances to Chicago regionals

Malcolm Taylor

Lab’s Ethics Bowl team advances to the Chicago regionals, one round before the national competition.

Oliver Wilson, Reporter

Highly competitive, difficult and intricate, the Ethics Bowl offers challenging real-life ethical dilemmas for students to debate, and it is very much a struggle to make it far in the competition each year, yet Lab might have a chance at doing just that.

Each year, students from around the nation participate in The National High School Ethics Bowl. This year, Lab’s team has managed to make it to the Chicago regionals, one round before the national competition. The team hopes to win regionals and eventually nationals, but until then, the team is working hard to prepare for each case. 

“We don’t get to go to nationals very often” said ninth grader Sygne Stole, ethics bowl team member. 

“It’s a big deal,” she said.

Lab has managed to beat St. Ignatius College Prep twice and now will debate against Marion High School of Marion, Illinois, to qualify for nationals.

Although the Ethics Bowl may be about arguing, people join for other reasons, too. Sygne mentioned an interest in learning about philosophy and how it was interesting to “get perspectives from all over the country.”