Enchanted Forest Spring Fling to take place March 5

Milo Platz-Walker, Reporter

This year’s Winter Formal, now called Spring Fling, will be held in Sherry Lansing Theater on March 5 from 7:30-10:30 p.m. Malcolm Taylor

Excited students will again line up through the gates of Gordon Parks Arts Hall, eager to dance and party with friends. Music will blast from every corner of the auditorium with multi-colored lights at this year’s Enchanted Forest Spring Fling.

This year’s Spring Fling will be held in Sherry Lansing Theater on March 5 from 7:30-10:30 p.m. Tickets will be sold starting Feb. 28 for $10. Tickets will be $15 cash at the door. Students outside Lab will also be able to attend after filling out a form provided by Dean of Students Ana Campos. 

The Spring Fling will follow Spirit Week, where students will participate by dressing up as themes provided by Student Council. The dress-up days and themes are Monday, Zoom formal (formal top, casual bottoms); Tuesday, tacky tourist; Wednesday, teacher look-alike; Thursday, maroon; and Friday, anything but a backpack.

“Spirit weeks are like a goofy way for students from all grades to participate in something together,” said junior Cultural Union Representative Maile Nacu.

Previously known as the Winter Formal, this year’s Spring Fling was renamed and pushed back to March due to the unexpected amount of COVID-19 cases at Lab preceding winter break.

“We had to push it back, but it didn’t affect our process very much. I’m really still looking forward to the dance,” Maile said. “It looks like it’ll be one of our best ever.”

Attendance for the Spring Fling is traditionally expected to be slightly lower than homecoming although Cultural Union members remain optimistic.

Even though attendance is traditionally a little bit lower for the Winter dance relative to homecoming, we’re very optimistic that we’ll get a great turnout.

— Saul Arnow

Even though attendance is traditionally a little bit lower for the Winter dance relative to homecoming, we’re very optimistic that we’ll get a great turnout,” said Senior Cultural Union Representative Saul Arnow.

Although attendance is expected to be high, the dance has multiple precautions that will help limit the spread of COVID-19 among students and chaperones.

Masks will still be required and enforced by chaperones at all times. Students will also be forced to social distance while eating and drinking the food and beverages provided by the Cultural Union.

It’s also been a really interesting experience to adapt to new challenges to planning events that comply with Covid restrictions and we definitely learned a lot from Homecoming in the Fall,” said Saul.