Take-home COVID-19 tests to be distributed

Malcolm Taylor

Students and employees will receive two rapid antigen test kits on March 9 to be taken before returning to class from spring break.

Amy Ren, Reporter

Students will receive two rapid antigen test kits March 9 in advisory, so they can take a COVID-19 test before returning to class from spring break. Employees will also receive tests. 

The tests are intended to be used March 20 and 21.

“We are hoping that students will take one test on Sunday after spring break and one on Monday morning, before they come back to Lab,” assistant principal Zilkia Rivera-Vazquez said. “We are encouraging all students that if they get a positive result, to report it to us. It’s really an honor system. We trust our students to do the right thing.”

The process is intended to be simple, and Ms. Rivera-Vazquez emphasized that trust is critical for the tests to serve their purpose.

“We just wanted to make it easy for students to test and just trust that if there is a positive result, they will report it to the nurse or to the administrators,” she said.“You don’t need to take any pictures; we don’t want it to be a burden. But you know, just coming back, people are traveling and we just want to keep the school open and safe.”

This story has been updated to reflect the change in test kit distribution from March 11 to March 9 at 11:30 a.m. March 7.