Students receive all-state honors for academic, athletic achievements

Amanda O’Donnell and Zachary Gin, were selected to the 2020-21 IHSA Academic All-State team with honorable mention honors.

Louis Auxenfans, Assistant Editor

Two cross country and track and field athletes, Amanda O’Donnell and Zachary Gin, were selected to the 2020-21 IHSA Academic All-State team with honorable mention honors. The all-state team recognizes academic and athletic achievements for senior student athletes.    

One girl and one boy were nominated from each of the 800 IHSA participating schools. The nominees were required to have a minimum 3.5 GPA on a 4.0 scale and to have participated in at least two IHSA-sponsored varsity sports seasons. After Amanda and Zachary were nominated to represent U-High, they had to fill out an application and an essay. 

They represent the top 4% of applicants from a pool of about 1,600 students. 

Both Zachary and Amanda said they were excited to receive all-state honors.

“I’m so happy that my work in the classroom, and for track and cross country has paid off,” Amanda said. “And I hope that I can inspire other people to also do their best to achieve the most they can in the classroom, and in cross country and track.” 

Athletics director David Ribbens said that Amanda and Zachary’s notable academic and athletic achievements were the reason why they were selected. Amanda has twice received all-state honors in cross country and track and field, while Zachary has qualified for state meets with teams in both sports.

Additionally, both are accomplished in sports outside of U-High: Amanda in fencing and Zachary in karate

While both academic and athletic success is difficult, Zachary said he gained progressively better time management skills.  

Amanda also said that her sports achievements helped with her academics. 

“It’s taught me so many things like, you know, how to make plans, face challenges, determination, resilience — and that all helps with my academics,” Amanda said. “So they really work hand in hand.”

To Mr. Ribbens, their all-state honors show that a balance of high academic and athletic achievement is possible.

“I believe that combining a high level of academic success and a high level of athletic success is achievable, and I think we do that here very well,” Mr. Ribbens said. “And I am proud of it.”