Connections fundraising gala raises $2.8 million

The 2022 Connections gala, celebrating Lab’s 125th anniversary, raised $2.8 million for financial aid.

Clare McRoberts, Reporter

More than 600 people attended the Laboratory Schools Connections, a fundraising gala on May 5 at the Museum of Science and Industry, which raised more than $2.8 million. The money goes, in part, to financial aid.

Ramya Shah, assistant director of special events and parent relations, said that the event, which has been held for over 30 years, was a rewarding experience. The winter swell of COVID-19 cases had delayed plans for Connections to be held in February.

“I think that it was really thrilling to be able to offer this to the community,” Ms. Shah said. “We were disappointed that we couldn’t do it in February, the originally scheduled date, because we had a surge and we just wanted to be safe.”

Lab families took part in a cocktail reception and formal dinner, and listened to music performed by Lab students. The student groups that participated in the event included the middle school jazz band, the string quartet, the chamber collective and Maroon Key Society members, who helped manage the event.