Alumni hall of fame honors Lab’s athletes

Pictured+left-to-right+then+top-to-bottom%3A+Zeke+Upshaw%2C+John+Naisbitt%2C+Emily+Kuo%2C+Ted+Haydon%2C+Sherry+Fu+and+Jimmy+Bruce.+

Pictured left-to-right then top-to-bottom: Zeke Upshaw, John Naisbitt, Emily Kuo, Ted Haydon, Sherry Fu and Jimmy Bruce.

Taariq Ahmed, Reporter

Six former U-High athletes will be induct- ed into the Lab Athletics Hall of Fame at a ceremony on Oct. 15 in Upper Kovler Gymnasium. The reception will begin at 6 p.m and the program will begin at 6:30 p.m. The event is open to the entire Lab community.

The Lab Athletics Hall of Fame was founded in 2019 with an intent “to honor and celebrate alumni athletes, outstanding contributions to the Lab athletics program, and the Schools’ rich athletics history.”

Athletics Director David Ribbens said the Lab Athletics Hall of Fame is a meaningfulway to commemorate the athletic culture of Lab.

This is the third in-person, and fourth overall, induction ceremony. Of the recipients, James Bruce, Class of 1976; Sherry Fu, Class of 2010; Emily Kuo, Class of 2009; and John Naisbitt, Class of 1980, are attending the ceremony. Ted Haydon, Class of 1929, and Zeke Upshaw, Class of 2009, will be inducted posthumously.

“There’s a lot of people that don’t know the story of athletics [at Lab], and it’s important to tell that story. And we tell that story kind of one life at a time,” Mr. Ribbens said. “So the impact that athletics had

on the previous recipients has been significant. And we feel like this year’s class is no exception. The athletic experience here was a positive part of their life, and we need to realize how much our students have accomplished when they were students here.”

Additionally, the Athletics Department is expanding the trophy case to accommodate a large touch-screen television that will contain an interactive list of all Hall of Fame inductees for students to access. The tele- vision screen will also display other information, such as accomplishments of student athletes, a directory to Lab sports schedules and results, and a live Twitter feed.