U-Highlights adviser receives national recognition

Jayna+Rumble%2C+the+U-Highlights+adviser%2C+was+named+one+of+2022+Special+Recognition+Yearbook+Adviser+by+the+Journalism+Education+Association.+

Ella Hultquist

Jayna Rumble, the U-Highlights adviser, was named one of 2022 Special Recognition Yearbook Adviser by the Journalism Education Association.

Ainsley Williams, Reporter

U-Highlights adviser Jayna Rumble was named a 2022 Special Recognition Yearbook Adviser by the Journalism Education Association. 

The award is a part of the Journalism Education Association’s National Yearbook Adviser of the Year program, where a committee of student media experts reviews teacher entries to determine the adviser of the year, distinguished advisers and special recognition advisers. Seven other yearbook advisers were also recognized. 

“I feel really proud about it,” Ms. Rumble said. “I’m proud of myself. It was exciting and a little surprising.” 

According to Ms. Rumble, the award has been incredibly meaningful for all the hard work she has put in, especially after discovering her passion for yearbook while in high school. 

She also said that the award has better connected her to the high school journalism community. 

“When you teach journalism, it’s a very small bubble,” Ms. Rumble said, “but the scholastic journalism community is very tightknit, but it’s also widespread.”  

Ms. Rumble has taught and advised both yearbook and photojournalism at U-High since 2019, and previously taught yearbook and newspaper journalism in Michigan for six years.