Two photojournalists win awards in national contest

Sarah Abdelsalam

Photographers Patrice Graham and Matt Petres placed in seven categories in total for the advanced division of the Fall Photo Contest sponsored by the Association of Texas Photography Instructors.

Haley Maharry, Reporter

Two U-High senior photojournalists have won awards in a national photography contest held in the fall.
Matt Petres placed in six categories, and Patrice Graham placed in one category the advanced division in the Fall Photo Contest sponsored by the Association of Texas Photography Instructors.

Matt placed second for the documentary/street category and was awarded honorable mentions in five categories: animals, architecture/cityscape, document/street, student life and portfolio.

Patrice was awarded first honorable mention for the photo story category for his picture of the July Pride Parade 2022.

“That was one of the first times I decided to go out on my own accord and take pictures of something that I was interested in, and I think that’s why the pictures came out so good,” Patrice said.

Jayna Rumble, their photojournalism teacher, said that they have come a long way since first joining the class.

“These awards are a testament to their technical skills and journalistic instincts,” she wrote.