GirlUp runs hygiene product drive to supply Hyde Park’s Love Fridge

Students+can+drop+off+hygiene+products+at+the+high+school+lobby+and+various+classrooms+as+part+of+Girl+Ups+hygiene+product+drive.+

Téa Tamburo

Students can drop off hygiene products at the high school lobby and various classrooms as part of Girl Up’s hygiene product drive.

Edward Park, Reporter

The GirlUp club is holding a hygiene product drive through April 10 to resupply the Love Fridge in Hyde Park with hygiene products.

Located in different areas of Chicago, each Love Fridge provides supplies to its local communities.

“The Love Fridges has helped provide just the local location for people to get things that they need for free,” Elizabeth Grace Sharp, a treasurer of GirlUp, said.

Hyde Park currently has two Love Fridges, the Rodfei Zedek Love Fridge at 5200 S. Hyde Park Blvd and the other located at the Augustana Lutheran Church at 5500 S. Woodlawn Ave. This year, GirlUp is supporting the Love Fridge located at the Augustana Lutheran Church.

Elizabeth Grace shared that having a Love Fridge in Hyde Park provided convenience for the club in looking for a site to support.

She also noted that students can participate in the drive by dropping off all types of hygienic products in boxes located in areas like the high school lobby and various classrooms.

Elizabeth Grace said she believes that students participating in the drive will be able to stay more closely connected to Hyde Park. It’s the little things, she added, that make a difference.

“Hyde Park is such a diverse neighborhood.” Elizabeth Grace said. “It’s important to understand that while we are located in this very small environment of Lab, there are many different people around Hyde Park with different experiences and different needs. I think it’s important to pay attention to that. So donating to it, even if it’s a small thing like deodorant or something like that, those things can really make a difference.”