Students feel new ID policy is burden

Priyanka Shrijay, Editor-in-Chief

Emerson Wright
TAPPING IN. A middle school student taps his ID as he enters school in the morning. Lab’s new security policy requires students to always carry their IDs and lanyards. The ID photos, once scanned, show up on the security guard’s screen.

A herd of students squeeze through Kovler doors, inching forward toward the first day of school assembly. They try to leave for lunch through Gordon Parks but catch themselves, remembering that the door is no longer in use. They come back and tap into the security system with their IDs in the name of safety.

Student IDs have become more ubiquitous as Lab’s security measures become stricter following the security breaches at Earl Shapiro Hall in 2018.

I think the new security measures have our best intentions at heart, but I feel like in the morning when I’m really rushing, tapping my ID, while it’s an easy thing to do, but every time I leave, they make me tap back in. It can be time consuming.

— Shreya Dhar

Every time students in grades 6–12 and non-employee adults enter Lab, they will need to tap their ID card on a card reader, which will confirm that they have an ID card that is both active and up to date. Anyone who does not have an ID card can request a new one by sending an email to [email protected]. Students are required have their ID and lanyard with them at all times while at school.

Entrance and exit protocols have been changed. Student IDs will no longer unlock the Gordon Parks Arts Hall entrance, which  will now be used exclusively for special events, such as plays and concerts. Furthermore, Kovler Gymnasium has become the main entrance to the gym buildings. Students will need to use their ID to enter Kovler and may no longer be buzzed in by security. A security officer will be stationed inside Kovler from 7:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. on school days. The Jackman Field entrance to Kovler will be unlocked only during special events.

While Lab administrators have been motivated by the security breaches in early June, strengthening security has been discussed before the incidents, according to Christopher Jones, associate director for finance and operations.

Mr. Jones also stressed the importance of each member of the Lab community doing their part to ensure collective safety.

“Whether that is the student who sees a questionable item or person or behavior and should share their observations with a teacher or administrator, or that is a community safety officer asking to see identification,” Mr. Jones said.

Mr. Jones also noted the significance of Lab’s security staff’s role in the school’s safety.

“Our security staff’s commitment to these policies and ability to execute them is a focus of our training and attention as we enhance security measures on campus,” he said.

While understanding the intentions of the school, some students find the ID process to be an extra task.

“I think the new security measures have our best intentions at heart, but I feel like in the morning when I’m really rushing, tapping my ID, while it’s an easy thing to do, but every time I leave, they make me tap back in,” said senior Shreya Dhar. “It can be time consuming.”