Girls soccer team ends season in close loss

Matt Petres

Sophomore Orly Eggner fights for the ball in the regional game against Catalyst–Maria on May 12 at Jackman Field. The team ended its season in a 2-1 loss to Coal City.

Edward Park, Reporter

The girls soccer team ended its season after a narrow 2-1 defeat in the sectional semifinal game against Coal City on May 16. Despite their overall dominance over the opponent, the Maroons let in two goals in the second half of the game, facing an unexpected end to their season. The lone goal came from Jackie Slimmon, assisted by Norie Kaufman-Sites.

Stella Sturgill, a junior who started as a right fullback this season, expressed the team’s regret.

“It was hard because I feel like the score didn’t really reflect — often the score doesn’t really reflect the play — but we were dominating and had, like, a ton of opportunities on goal but just weren’t able to really put it in or to finish,” she said.

The team beat Catalyst-Maria 12-0 in the regional championship game May 12 at home.

Such results in their conference games allowed the team to skip the semi-regional game by placing first in their conference.

For the third consecutive year, the team also won the Independent Schools League.

Considering the games that came before, the loss on May 16 was unexpected.

Stella said, “We were not really expecting for Tuesday to be our last game.”