Students adjust to new security measures with relief, resentment

Bryce Light
Students react with a range of emotions to Lab’s new security measures that require more frequent use of student IDs for access and attendance.

Lab’s new security measures require more frequent use of student IDs for access and attendance, and U-High student reactions range from appreciation to aggravation.

Students are now required to tap IDs at assemblies and to unlock the new gate along Kenwood Mall that is locked from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. on school days.

Junior Mihir Epel, who bikes to school daily, appreciates the new gate for the extra security it provides. 

“I think that it is a positive addition to the school, because I’ve heard a lot of people having their bikes stolen out on Kenwood Mall,” Mihir said. “And personally, I think it’s good to increase the security so that less bikes are stolen.”

Sophomore Addy Johnson, hasn’t encountered any issues with the gate. 

“I get that the gates are there for safety reasons and also maybe to keep people inside of the school and know who’s coming in and out of them,” Addy said. “So far, they don’t really make a difference in my life.”

Sophomore Maggie Yagan dislikes the gate, so when she walks to school, she enters through the Judd Hall entrance to avoid the gate and the morning crowds.

“I think they make this place feel like a prison and don’t actually do much to make me feel safer,” Maggie said.

Senior Leyton Mueller has had an overall positive experience with the gates, except for getting locked out of the gym building after a morning run. 

“I didn’t have my ID and I had to wait for a couple minutes for someone else to open the door for me,” he said. 

Sophomore Camila Bravo appreciates the gate, yet also has her own doubts about it.  

“I think the security gates are well meaning and perhaps do make the school safer,” Camilla said. “But I find it a little pointless because they are sometimes open, and they can lock out students who forget their ID.”

Student IDs are also used for attendance at mandatory assemblies during co-curricular weeks. During the first assemblies of the school year, significantly higher attendance meant longer lines and extended time to enter the assembly hall.

“Last year definitely people weren’t going to assemblies, but there is something about this year that makes the assemblies feel different,” junior Ilana Umanskiy said. 

Senior Austin Kim understands why the measure was implemented, even though it causes a slight inconvenience.

“I think that it was also implemented with good intentions at heart. I also think that there are probably ways to circumvent it. Even if there are, I think the general sentiment is that it’s a little annoying,” Austin said. “I know that some people want to skip the assembly, but I think this is probably more effective at keeping people at school.”