Girls golf team ends historic season with state placement

Olin Nafziger
The girls golf team placed sixth as a team at the IHSA 1A State Championship from Oct. 6-7 at Red Tail Run Golf Course in Decatur, where junior Amelia Tan placed fifth individually.

To cap off a record-breaking season, the girls golf team placed sixth as a team at the IHSA 1A State Championship from Oct. 6-7 at Red Tail Run Golf Course in Decatur, where junior Amelia Tan placed fifth individually. The team qualified for both days of the competition. 

For the first time in school history, the team won the IHSA Golf Regional Championship Sept. 28 and qualified for the state finals as a team. Amelia, who individually qualified for state the past two years, said the presence of the rest of her teammates this year was uplifting and supportive.

“It was much more fun because you could go out there and you could see all your teammates on every hole,” Amelia said. “We had a lot of parents come down, too. It was very fun and exciting to be out there all together. I’m really proud of the team because I think we did great together.”

Amelia was also named an Independent School League Player of the Year.

Girls golf coach Marco Fajardo said he was exceptionally proud of the team after finishing the regular season with an 8-1 record and advancing so far into the postseason. 

“This weekend was basically the high point of the season in terms of accomplishing all the tasks we had set out in the beginning of the year,” Mr. Fajardo said. “This is the best season in the history of golf at the Lab Schools. I told the girls it’s been a pleasure, and I’m super proud to be their coach. The team in general is a great group of individuals, and they all bring a different point of view and they mesh together as a unit.”

For the first time in school history, the team won the IHSA Golf Regional Championship Sept. 28 and qualified for the state finals as a team. (Provided by Devyn Moubayed)

Mr. Fajardo said he believes the team achieved goals both personally and for the program.

“We have a few players that are outstanding,” Mr. Fajardo said, “but everyone elevated their game this year. It was a team effort. It was day in, day out, five to six days a week for nine weeks to get to this point. That was the one thing they all committed to doing this last year after our finish last year. They wanted to get to state as a team.”

Sophomore Vedika Dangi said the season was memorable, and she is looking forward to next season.

“I think we were very successful this season, and the hard work paid off,” Vedika said. “Throughout the season the team became very close. We all laughed and had fun together. The constant support of our amazing coaches was really helpful as well. I can see our team winning the state championship next year.”

The boys golf team finished the season with a 5-4 record and placed second in their conference tournament. However, the team was eliminated after placing fourth in the regional championship Sept. 27, as only the top three teams advance from that stage. Five golfers competed individually at the sectional tournament but none qualified for the IHSA 2A state finals. Sophomore Daniel Chang was named an Independent School League Player of the Year.