Makeup and misinformation: Social media has lasting effects on preteen skincare
Get ready for… Cicadapalooza!

Dig Pink brings together community

A sea of pink swarmed Upper Kovler Gymnasium on Oct. 19, for the volleyball team’s annual Dig Pink game. While sales and donations are ongoing, the team has raised over $2,500, with the majority of the money coming from T-shirt sales the team had promoted throughout the weeks previous to the game against Depaul College Prep. All money raised went directly to the Side-Out Foundation. Dig Pink is a nationwide event for high schools and colleges to raise awareness toward breast cancer.

Before the game started speeches were given by Monica Peek and Lisa Kirchhoff, both breast cancer survivors. Dr. Peek works at the University of Chicago and is the mother of player Zora Peek Taylor. Ms. Kirchoff is the team’s head coach.

While the game resulted in a loss, captain Santana Romero, a senior, expressed the importance of the event to the team. 

“Even though it was not the result we hoped for, we were still so happy with everyone in the crowd, and the parents, and everyone in the program being there to support the cause,” Santana said. 

She highlighted the love the team has for the event and the bonding it brings to the team.

“As a team we look forward to Dig Pink every year no matter what,” Santana said. “It’s definitely one of our favorite games of the season.”