Ten students admitted to district music ensembles

Nine U-High students and one Lab middle school student have been selected to participate in the district ensembles for the best jazz, orchestra, and chorus students hosted by the Illinois Music Education Association.

Nine U-High students and one Lab middle school student have been selected to participate in the district ensembles for the best jazz, orchestra and chorus students hosted by the Illinois Music Education Association.

The students are: 

Senior Chorus:

Zachary Findler, junior

Lena Valenti, senior

Senior Orchestra:

Smaya Anand, senior

Alice Fan, senior

Ruben Hayrapetyan, sophomore

Amelia Tan, junior

Sophia Zheng, sophomore

Senior Jazz:

Alma Francez, senior

Rumi Johnson, junior

Junior Jazz:

Alex Washington, sixth grade

Following the district-level ILMEA ensemble, the state-level ensemble selection process will announce the chosen students.

To apply for the ensemble, students will prepare a piece to submit to the ILMEA. The selection process for the ensemble is very selective as only a handful of students are selected for each instrument. 

Lena, who was selected for a third year, said the selection process is competitive.“We’re in the most competitive district especially for sopranos, like me, but we are also at an advantage because we go to Lab as we have more individualized attention,” she said.

The experience is beneficial for Lena not only because of the singing itself but because of the bonds created through a shared love of choir.

“I felt good finding out I had been selected,” she said. “I get to see a lot of my friends who don’t go to Lab who I know from different choirs. It’s very nice to be around a lot of people who are just as passionate about choir so I was very excited.”

This is Rumi’s first year participating in the choir. After being selected as one of only two piano players, Rumi is looking forward to the opportunity to participate in the jazz ensemble.

“I was very excited to find out that I made it,” Rumi said. “I worked very hard for it all summer, so it was nice to see your practice and hard work be shown.”