Rhythmic Journey: U-High Band was founded through jazz, evolved into friendship
Spring musical ‘Bye Bye Birdie’ showcases story of rock idol

Coat donation program supports new arrivals in winter

Sygne Stole
Nonprofit organization One Warm Coat works to help host coat drives across the country. Given the current influx of migrants in Chicago, organizations like One Warm Coat have an even larger role in helping those without homes to stay warm.

Winter is a trying time for people all across the globe, especially for those without the resources to stay warm. Along with frost-covered ground comes frigid temperatures and often lots of snowfall. But the nonprofit organization One Warm Coat aims to make the winter months a little more bearable for those in need.

One Warm Coat works to help host coat drives across the country. Given the current influx of migrants in Chicago, organizations like One Warm Coat have an even larger role in helping those without homes to stay warm.

In the past two years alone, 19,000 people in need of shelter and safety have arrived in Chicago. One Warm Coat is conscious of these new Chicago residents, and is trying to give extra support to the city. 

“One Warm Coat is working with the City of Chicago and several of our nonprofit partners in Chicago to increase awareness of the need for coats in Chicago for migrants and for individuals experiencing homelessness and poverty,” Patti Zappa, executive vice president of One Warm Coat, said.

While Chicago’s case is extreme, the organization has locations all over the country. One Warm Coat has collected 8 million coats to be distributed to thousands of nonprofit partners. Over the last 30 years and more, One Warm Coat has only grown bigger.

Abbey Carr, coat drive program manager, notes how much the program has expanded over the years. 

“One Warm Coat started in 1992 as one coat drive in San Francisco,” Ms. Carr wrote in an email, “and has since grown to thousands of coat drives happening annually across the United States and Canada.”

With a message to share warmth and kindness, one coat at a time, they encourage people across the country to support each other. To contribute to their cause, people and organizations can donate coats, hold coat drives and make financial donations

Ms. Carr explained that anyone, including students, are able to help out and contribute to their cause.

“One Warm Coat makes it easy for volunteers of any age to make a significant difference in their community by sharing warmth,” Ms. Carr wrote.

One Warm Coat is also a sustainable alternative to throwing out used coats that helps keep these coats and other fabrics out of landfills.

“I love our mission of providing free coats to children and adults in need while promoting volunteerism and environmental sustainability,” Ms. Carr wrote. “Because One Warm Coat drives collect gently worn outerwear and outerwear accessories, we are able to keep more than 1 million pounds of textiles out of landfills each year.”

As freezing temperatures and blizzard conditions sweep across the United States, One Warm Coat supports communities and individuals with donations from coat drives to help everyone feel comfortable in the winter months.

Some of the current coat donation sites near Hyde Park:

Find more donation sites near you using the website’s donation map.

Other programs in Chicago to help migrants: