Winter wonders

Seasonal activities provide entertainment
Kaden Moubayed
While perhaps not as many activities are at their finger tips, as there are in the summer, there are still many opportunities to enjoy themselves despite the freezing temperatures. From outdoors to indoors, here are five Midway approved activities that students will surely enjoy.

As the ground is filled with layers of snow, and the brisk wind leaves a chill in the air, many students are left locked inside unsure of what to do as they attempt to avoid the seemingly endless winter months Chicago provides. While perhaps not as many activities are at their finger tips, as there are in the summer, there are still many opportunities to enjoy themselves despite the freezing temperatures. From outdoors to indoors, here are five Midway approved activities that students will surely enjoy.

McCormick Tribune Ice Rink

Through March 3, Millennium Park hosts the McCormick Tribune Ice Rink weather permitting. The rink is at 1 N. Michigan Ave. and features Park Grill, an American Bistro serving cuisine with Chicago-themed food and breathtaking views. The rink is free of charge (excluding skate rentals for all ages) as well as skating lessons on the weekends and select CPS winter break days. The rink is open 11 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. daily.

Chicago Restaurant Week

Chicago Restaurant Week began Jan. 19, hosting over 397 restaurants from the Chicagoland area. The 17-day event through Feb. 4 features 41 cuisines from around the world, ranging from Brazilian to Pan-Asian. The week showcases restaurants from 51 neighborhoods, hoping to put some new restaurants into people’s minds. Meals are $25 for lunch/brunch, and $42 or $59 for dinner.

Sledding

Available whenever there is snow, Chicago has a few hills around the city featuring slopes that reach up to 200 feet, making it a must for those who seek a thrill. One mini-mountain in particular is the Soldier Field Sledding Hill just south of the stadium. The hill sports a panoramic view of the skyline and Lake Michigan as well as easy access with parking lots and bike trails leading to it. 

Cold Weather Animals

While Lincoln Park Zoo is open daily, lots of the year is spent indoors for Talini and Siku, the pair of polar bears. During the frigid winter months, they venture outside rolling in the snow and going for swims feeling their natural habitat. But not everyone enjoys the frigid temperature Chicago offers, so take advantage of the many indoor facilities such as the bird house offered.

Polar Adventure Day

Have you ever wanted to watch huskies pull a sled through the barren arctic tundra but never got the time to visit? On Feb. 17, go to Big Marsh Park, 11559 S. Stony Island Ave., to watch many activities ranging from watching husky sled teams to guided bird hikes to listening to stories over a warm campfire. It’s free to anyone from noon to 3 p.m.