Cat adoption rises in popularity due to lifestyle, calm characteristics

Nathan Li
Cats mingle at an adoption center in Chicago.

A family is enjoying their day. The small, soft kittens run around playfully, a blur of fur. As the kittens play with each other, the children pick up and cuddle the kittens. The kittens then run off, and disappear for the next few hours. 

The family proceeds to get their dog and take her outside for the second time that day, while the kittens take care of themselves at home.

Many families have turned to adopting cats, due to their low-maintenance lifestyle in combination with their calm personalities.

Noah Prabhakaran, an eighth grader who takes care of his family’s three cats and one dog every day, feels that his cats are a lot easier to take care of as opposed to his dog, Lyra, who’s care is on his family’s mind almost all the time. 

“The kittens are easier to take care of,” Noah said. “They don’t require much attention.”

Noah explained that to care for Lyra, he and his family need to walk her two times a day, and take her to the dog beach or dog park every day. He also explained that they need to feed her, give her baths and play with her.

The cats require much less attention and care mostly for themselves.

For the cats, Noah said, “We have to feed them, and we have to do their litter. And our kittens, we have to play with them sometimes. He also explained how their kittens are brothers,  and play with each other.

Animal shelters are also impacted by this sudden turn to cat adoption. According to Animal Shelters Count, the number of cats in 2023 that are showing up as strays in shelters is decreasing, as opposed to the number of dogs, which is increasing

Noah and his family are not the only ones who feel that cats are easier. Marla Brodsky, a cat owner in Chicago, has had a cat for about seven years, and feels similarly.

“It’s a lot less work to have a cat,” Ms. Brodsky said, talking about why she and her family decided to have a cat as opposed to a dog. 

She said you do not have to walk a cat in weather such as rain or snow, which is something that you have to do with a dog.

According to Animal Shelters Count, cats are a great option for any size family. They can be cared for by one person, or a big family very easily.

Another factor that has to do with the greater cat adoption is money. Compared to dogs, cats are usually less expensive when looking at the total cost of care and maintenance, according to Animal Shelters Count.

A family has a new kitten, who is making themself at home on their couch. The family will have not much work, and a new member of the family. The family is enjoying their day. “They’re easier work,” Noah said.

View Comments (1)