TikTok should pay Universal Music Group; promote small artists

TikTok and Universal Music Group have decided to end their financial contract with each other, resulting in the removal of some of the biggest artists’ music being removed from the social media platform. 

While it is unfortunate and annoying that UMG has removed many famous artists’ music from the app, TikTok should pay UMG its fair share if they are going to be using its artists’ music. 

Noah Kahan, one of the many artists whose music has been removed from TikTok and whose rise to fame was partly a result of promotion of his Grammy-nominated album “Stick Season,” has expressed his frustration and concerns through a humorous TikTok he posted, promoting his new song “Forever.” 

In addition to Noah Kahan, multiple artists became viral sensations and major musical artists as a result of their use of promoting their music through TikTok, including Lil Nas X, Tate McRae and Jax

If TikTok pays UMG its fair share, new and currently less-known artists will share their music with the world and TikTok users will be able to continue to entertain themselves by recording videos to their favorite new artists and musicians, including perhaps the next Noah Kahan.