Barber and immigrant Ilirian Grezda enjoys salon atmosphere

Leila Rezania
Illyria Grezda, a barber at University Hair Stylists, has established connections with a wide variety of continuous customers, their ages spanning from 5 to 70, and even greater. With each one, Mr. Grezda has developed a connection.

Correction: A previous version of this story misspelled Mr. Grezda’s first name as “Illyria.” Mr. Grezda’s first name is Ilirian.

When Ilirian Grezda came to the United States six years ago, he already knew what he was going to do. Since he was 14 years old, Ilirian knew he loved art, and he knew he always had to be doing something with his hands. 

“I chose this because it was easier for me to become a barber than anything else,” Mr. Grezda said.

Mr. Grezda chose Chicago, and Hyde Park specifically, because he had a family connection at the salon. 

“When you come to another country, a big country, you need to know someone,” Mr. Grezda explained. “I knew someone at this salon, so that’s why I’m here.”

Since then Mr. Grezda has established connections with a wide variety of continuous customers. Their ages span from 5 to 70, and even greater. With each one, Mr.Grezda has developed a connection. 

Senior Jonah Vaang has been going to University Hair Stylists for almost five years. He described how the salon works toward ensuring a calm and welcoming atmosphere. 

“There’s usually something on the TV, usually a sports game, and we’ll just be talking about life and how life is going,” said Jonah. “It’s basically like a conversation you would just have with your friends but while getting your haircut.”

Mr. Grezda explained that the hair salon’s unique location, on the South Side of Chicago, but in the midst of the university campus, provides him with a wide range of customers, something he greatly values and enjoys.

“It’s great to have this energy, from all the students,” Mr. Grezda said. “I really love the atmosphere of a lot of Hyde Parkers of all different ages.”

Jonah noticed the wide range of customers the salon receives as well and highlighted how the communal aspect is still apparent. 

“You can just get the feeling that he enjoys what he’s doing,” he said. “He cuts hair for a lot of interesting people throughout the community: professors, students and local Hyde Parkers.”

Mr. Grezda greets a customer by name, and asks him about his family. The two launch into a long conversation, as Mr. Grezda begins to cut his hair.