Research cosmetic brands to limit microplastic exposure

Reporter Mira Reddy argues that students should research their cosmetics brands and make sure to only use natural, FDA-approved brands to limit exposure to microplastics.

Makeup is a part of the everyday routine for many people, but research done on what’s put into makeup is uncovering many microplastics contained primarily in low-cost drugstore mascaras, lip glosses and foundations.

These microplastics are not only harmful to the environment but can also contribute to many health issues, so people should opt for brands that use natural, plant-based ingredients and no microplastics, and make sure they’re FDA regulated or approved.

L’Oreal’s research indicates that the severity of the effects of microplastics are being overblown in the media, but L’Oreal and other sources promoting these ideas are largely makeup brands themselves, making them inherently biased.

Microplastics can damage the thyroid endocrine function, resulting in poorly regulated growth and development, metabolism and even reproduction if ingested in high quantities, according to Sana Ullah and other researchers for the National Library of Medicine.

According to Paul Stokes, a reporter for the United Kingdom’s Telegraph, regular makeup wearers absorb nearly five pounds of makeup into their bloodstream a year, and 9 out of 10 makeup products contain large quantities of microplastics according to Ben Webster, a reporter for The Times in the U.K.

This is why it is imperative to research your cosmetics brands and make sure to only use natural, FDA-approved brands such as Axiology, Codex Beauty and other plant-based beauty products.