Newspaper, yearbook teams receive 21 national awards

The+U-High+Midway+and+U-Highlights+staff+received+a+combined+21+national+awards+from+the+Columbia+Scholastic+Press+Association+at+Columbia+University.+
Lucy Byrnes
The U-High Midway and U-Highlights staff received a combined 21 national awards from the Columbia Scholastic Press Association at Columbia University.

Individual student journalists have received national recognition for their work, while the U-High Midway has received a prestigious national award for general excellence and is a finalist for another.

The U-High Midway and U-Highlights staff received a combined 21 national awards from the Columbia Scholastic Press Association at Columbia University. These 21 Gold Circle Awards featured work from recent school years. 

The Midway received its 18th CSPA Gold Crown Award, which is its 27th Crown Award overall. Crown Awards, which are given out as gold or silver, are awarded to student print or digital media for excellence. The awards are chosen by a panel of journalists and educators for the CSPA. 

In addition, the Midway’s website is one of 26 finalists for the Online Pacemaker given by the National Scholastic Press Association. To be selected as a Pacemaker finalist, NSPA judges studied approximately 130 sites submitted from 30 states and two countries. This is the fourth time in five years that the Midway has been a finalist for the prestigious award. Winners will be announced April 6.

Sahana Unni, a senior and a current Midway editor-in-chief, received three Gold Circle awards. She said she appreciates the recognition for topics that she cared a lot about, including the renaming of the assembly hall. 

“The Gordon Parks auditorium was an issue that I really care about, so it feels really nice that I’m receiving recognition for such an important matter,” Sahana said.

U-Highlights assistant editor Daniel Chang, a sophomore whose work was recognized, feels that the award represents the amount of work and dedication the U-Highlights team put into the 2023 yearbook.

Daniel said, “I think the award is representative of all the teamwork and collaboration that went into the yearbook, which I’m very grateful for.”

Gold Circle individual awards

Yearbook awards for the 2023 edition:

• Sarina Zhao, first place, feature writing: student life, “Have you heard?”
  • Jackie Slimmon and Sarina Zhao, third place, endsheets
  • Staff, third place, feature presentation, “Here and there”
  • Daniel Chang, Jackie Slimmon and Sarina Zhao, certificate of merit, feature presentation, “Have you heard?”

Newspaper (print) awards for 2022-23 school year: 

Digital news awards from October 2022 to October 2023: