U-High seniors go head to head in Rock, Paper, Scissors competition

Ellis Calleri
Seniors Luca Todorov and Adam Syverson play a game of Rock, Paper, Scissors to win each other’s bead necklaces in the grade-wide contest.

It’s 12 p.m. as lunch is just beginning, and seniors are huddled together in small energized groups cheering on their friends and challenging each other to a battle of Rock, Paper, Scissors to try and take the other’s colorful, bead necklaces.

In past years seniors would have a few events to commemorate the end of high school, such as senior tag or senior sunrise, which are events that are still happening. This year, the senior Student Council representatives decided to add a new event.

From March 18-22, some members of the Class of 2024 participated in a grade-wide Rock, Paper, Scissors competition, where students competed for colorful bead necklaces, which would declare a winner in the end. 

“My friend sent me an Instagram Reel of another school doing an event similar to this and I was like, ‘Yes we have to do this.’” Cassia Collins, senior vice president, said. “So we emailed Ms. Campos, and she approved it, then we emailed the faculty to participate, too.”

Cassia said that maybe in the future, Student Council could possibly make this a schoolwide event.

Yolotzin Martinez likes that it was just for seniors.

“If it was the whole high school, I feel like it would be a complete mess,” Yolotzin said,  “We were also the grade of COVID, and we didn’t get many events, like other grades got, so this was just a really great experience with everyone.”

With any competition come great wins and great losses. 

“I had lost all of my beads and then I challenged Mr. Wildeman for one of his beads, and so now I have one,” Cassia said.

Yolotzin can relate to Cassia’s experience.

“I had so many beads, like 20, and then I challenged one of the cafeteria workers for three of their beads,” Yolotzin said, “because I was like, ‘Oh that could help a lot.’ Then he won, and now I’m bankrupt.”

On Friday, March 22, in the senior lounge, Student Council hosted the final round of the competition with the final four winners going head to head to see who would win the last of the bead necklaces. 

The champion of the competition was senior Cyrus Esmailzadeh.

Cyrus said, “It was pretty cool to win, especially after all the games were super close. It was really funny to walk around school wearing all the necklaces.”