Spectrum takes positive approach toward social justice workshop
For younger students, Latinos Unidos events provide representation, joy

Café Lab experiences minor flood due to rain and hailstorm

Alex Diamond
A worker with the University of Chicago Facilities Management department walks through rainwater pooled outside of the cafeteria on the afternoon of May 7. The rain accumulated about three inches in the sunken area below Blaine Courtyard. Students got soaked trekking through the treacherous conditions to and from the gymnasium building.

Water poured into the central part of Café Lab after the storm drains overflowed due to a heavy rainstorm with hail that began around 2 p.m. on May 7, but by 2:40 p.m., a clean-up crew began to soak up and drain the water. 

Director of Operations Joseph Wachowski said these types of floods often happen with heavy rainfall. 

“It was deluge rain, and it came down really quick and the storm drains couldn’t keep up with it. This has actually happened before, and it’s not as bad as we’ve had about seven years ago when it was like three feet up on the glass,” Mr. Wachowski said. “It’s about five inches up, but the drains are now able to take in all the storm water so it’s going to take a little bit but they’ll get it cleaned up tonight.”

The extended day program, which is typically located in the cafeteria, was moved to the Blaine theater. The students were not in the cafeteria at the time of the flood. 

When students and staff return to school Wednesday, Mr. Wachowski said the water will be cleared.

Mr. Wachowski said preventing future floods would require renovations, which will likely not happen.

“It would have to be a renovation to where they would have to re-do all the storm water infrastructure under the school, and that’s not going to happen,” Mr. Wachowski said. “We’ve had worse than this, and it hasn’t been this bad since the renovations back in 2016.”