Concert funds aid hurricane relief

Emerson Wright

COLLECTING CONTRIBUTIONS. Orchestra member Victoria Welch hands freshman Brandon Bousquette a hot chocolate after the U-High music concert Dec. 6. The orchestra performed along- side the band and sold drinks help Puerto Rico with hurricane relief.

Audrey Matzke, Assistant Editor

Supplementing their charitable support toward hurricane victims, the high school orchestra performed a traditional Puerto Rican carol at the U-High music concert Dec. 6, where they also played alongside the band.

After the Mandel Hall concert took place, orchestra students raised $242.25 from selling hot cocoa to audience members, and donated proceeds to The Red Cross and AmeriCares.

In the next few weeks, they plan to place donation boxes throughout the halls and to hold a bake sale.

According to orchestra teacher Rozalyn Torto, the orchestra members will continue their work into spring quarter as to avoid the fundraiser being a “‘one-off,’ token gesture.”

After the orchestra began learning “La Media Noche,” a Puerto Rican Christmas carol, Ms. Torto had her students read the New York Times article, “Carols by a Cellphone’s Glow,” which explains how, despite power outages, Puerto Ricans manage to keep their traditions alive.

“We feel that we owe it to the people who own this music to learn more about them,” Ms. Torto said. This article inspired their charitable efforts.

In addition to instilling a desire to help, Ms. Torto said thorough exploration of Puerto Rican culture, as well as how traditions persist through recent circumstances, make for a richer, more authentic performance.

“We have to ask ourselves: ‘Are we just dabbling, or can we go deeper,’” she said.

The orchestra joined the band to perform “Matador.” According to band conductor Bradley Brickner, combined performances are almost always avoided in high school concerts.

“What might be easy for the string instruments might be difficult for the winds,” Mr. Brickner said, describing his difficulties choosing an accessible piece. He also cited difficulties with finding available time and space for both groups to practice together.

Additionally, Bel Canto performed “Carol of the Bells,” “Tambur” and “Sicut Cervus.”