Fitness and gymnastics rooms may switch

Katerina Lopez, Assistant Editor

Changes could be coming soon to facilities in Kovler gymnasium. To make the fitness center more accessible to students, school officials have proposed switching the locations of the gymnastics room and the fitness center.

According to Athletic Director David Ribbens, if everything goes according to plan, the process will begin over the summer and be completed by September. However, the project has not yet been approved.

The dance studio on the first floor will not be affected.

“The idea of having the fitness center on the first floor, being more accessible was part of the reason,” Mr. Ribbens said. “Visibility will increase participation, which will be healthy for the community.”

The training room will be moved from the second floor with the fitness center from the third floor. Existing equipment will be moved to the new space, and the department plans to consult students about any new equipment to be purchased.

The athletic department will collect student feedback and suggestions in the form of a survey or meeting once the plan is approved, Mr. Ribbens said.

The relocation of facilities will also have an impact on sports such as fencing, which will move to a new location on the third floor.

The project is funded by a capital expense, part of a budget plan each department gets, where they put in a request for different projects.