Gearing up for Artsfest

Maria Shaughnessy

Marc Mulligan demonstrates tie-die in the 2019 ArtsFest workshop “Tambourines, Tangerines, and Tie-dye.” ArtsFest is a day filled with art-themed workshops designed by students, for students.

Chloe Ma, Reporter

A new format for the opening ceremony and many new workshops are in store for this year’s Artsfest, which will take place Feb. 27, along with pre-Artsfest activities The Hunt and Art in the Dark.

“I’m excited because every year Artsfest is an opportunity for my friends and I to relax and try something new. Last year I chose a crochet workshop, which was pretty strange for me.” said Ben Cifu, a senior who helped organize workshops this year. 

Some new workshops this year include art activities run by English teacher Colin Rennert-May and his five-year-old son, Jonas, song composition with U-High alumnus Zoe Brisky, and opportunities to watch and discuss “The Office.” Workshop signup opens Feb. 10 at 9 p.m. here.

Art in the Dark will feature music and art activities such as a henna station, a mural for students to paint, a tie-dye station and student performers Feb. 26 from 6-9 p.m. in Café Lab.

The Artsfest opening ceremony will feature an interactive format, with grade-wide competitions centered around the arts. This is different from the customary assembly-like ceremony. The closing ceremony will have a returning performer who goes by the stage name Bardo.

Students often look forward to the annual scavenger game, The Hunt, which begins Feb. 19 and continues through Feb. 26. To compete, students will form groups and perform tasks that will be revealed at the start of the week. The prize is tickets to Pitchfork Music Festival this summer. 

Artsfest is also sponsoring a book talk from U-High alumnus Gabriel Bump on his new book, “Everywhere You Don’t Belong,” on Feb. 18 during lunch in C-116.

This annual experience of a day dedicated to art workshops was created to bring the community together with art and creativity.

One of the most important parts of Artsfest is that it is mostly student-run.

“It is student-driven, of the students, by the students” Artsfest adviser Brian Wildeman said.