Applications open for Marine Biological Lab summer trip

The Marine Biological Laboratory in Woods Hole, Massachusetts. Photo by Pam Wilmot. Licensed under creative commons.

Ethan Swinger, Reporter

Students grades 10-12 interested in an intensive science learning experience will return to the Marine Biological Laboratory Aug. 16-22. 

At the laboratory located in Woods Hole, Massachusetts, on Cape Cod, students will collect marine life from a boat, a salt marsh and a beach then return to the lab for analysis. Scientists will give tours and have discussions about their research, which will benefit students thinking of a career in research or passionate about different types of science.

To apply to the MBL field experience, students should submit by March 13 a brief résumé about similar summer programs or science classes at U-High, as well as receive a non-science teacher recommendation. Questions should be directed to Sharon Housinger or Daniel Calleri, and information is available on Schoology.

“Students should be interested in going if they are really, really interested in science — and either marine biology as a kind of science that they already know they’re interested in, or they want to find out more about,” Ms. Housinger said.