Pandemic roundup: Schoology problems, digital archive, small businesses and Twitter pages

Obama’s commencement speech and changes to the food delivery industry are covered in May 14’s roundup.

Berk Oto, Assistant Editor

The Midway is providing periodic updates regarding the COVID-19 pandemic and its impact on U-High students, faculty and others in the community. 

Schoology connection with Google Drive not working

Schoology temporarily disabled the Google Drive Assignments app because it hit Google’s application programming interface rate limits, according to a message posted on the site.

Schoology did not give much more information to the school, according to Joseph Kallo, the Laboratory Schools’ director of web services in a post to students on Schoology.

Archive to collect stories, digital artifacts of community members during pandemic

The University of Chicago’s Institute of Politics is starting an archive, called Archive in Place, to digitally document stories from within the university’s community during the COVID-19 pandemic.

The purpose of this project is to capture changes in daily life, record personal narratives, and to map community organizing and political efforts in our community,” according to the IOP newsletter.

All community members, including Lab students, are welcome to send their personal narratives, memes, artwork, photos or social media posts by email to the Institute.

New site allows Chicagoans to support local small businesses

To help small local businesses in need, a new site called Shop In Place Chicago, lists local businesses near the user which take online orders. The site was created by a group of University of Chicago students during their spring break.

Chicago businesses can apply if they meet the criteria of having fewer than 30 employees and remaining operational during the pandemic.

Hyde Park businesses listed on the site include the Hyde Park Produce grocery store and 57th Street Books.

If services are not currently needed, another way to help small businesses is to purchase gift cards in this time of need and redeem them once their businesses are back to normal, according to the website.

Laboratory Schools to compile Twitter posts tagged with ‘#uclskids’ on website

The Laboratory Schools will compile all appropriate Twitter posts tagged with ‘#uclskids’ on the school’s website.

“This allows us to create a collection of our remote Lab experience as seen by our faculty, staff, and families,” wrote communication specialist Anna Johnson in an email.

Director Charlie Abelmann starts actively using his Twitter account

Laboratory Schools Director Charlie Abelmann has started actively using his Twitter account, which he started in 2011. 

The account will be a place where Dr. Abelmann shares his tips, thoughts and resources, according to a post on Lab’s Facebook page.