Class of 2020 graduation will not be at Rockefeller Chapel

Maria Shaugnessy

Class of 2019 sits in the University of Chicago’s Rockefeller chapel. during their graduation ceremony. Unlike in 2019, there won’t be a U-High graduation ceremony at the chapel this year.

Audrey Matzke, Features Editor

In response to University of Chicago facility closings,The U-High Class of 2020 will not attend graduation at Rockefeller Chapel, Dean of Students Ana Campos revealed in a Schoology post. Administrators and the graduation committee are looking at options.

According to Senior Class President Donna Tong, the prevailing reaction among her classmates was one of intense disappointment. However, she said she’s trying to stay optimistic. 

“It’s supposed to be a celebration of our accomplishments, and I think that can still occur. We can still feel celebrated,” she said. 

Additionally, she hopes this drastic break from tradition will encourage her peers to be creative as they plan some way to mark the end of high school for more than 150 seniors.

“Some people have been giving really funny ideas as to how we can hold graduation. Those are really valuable to continue to make the experience yours,” Donna said. “Before, it was very traditional, and although that’s what I wanted and that’s what I think most people wanted, maybe this is a way for us to think beyond tradition… if anyone has any suggestions, the graduation committee is more than willing to hear them.”

In spite of what appears to be a remarkable change, the graduation committee is still looking for the usual celebratory staples, among them student speakers, performers, and nominations as to which teachers should receive special honors. 

For Donna, missing out on the chance to see all of her classmates together one final time was the biggest loss. However, she’s convinced this isn’t the last she’ll see of them, no matter how long she has to wait. 

She said, “I really believe in my classmates’ desire to be together. Family in the end will always come back together… when we plan something, our grade will always try and show up.”