Pandemic roundup: Virtual study halls, governor’s mask mandate

Obama’s commencement speech and changes to the food delivery industry are covered in May 14’s roundup.

Berk Oto, Assistant Editor

The Midway is providing periodic updates regarding the COVID-19 pandemic and its impact on U-High students, faculty and others in the community. 

Virtual study hall aims to provide structure for U-High students amid uncertainty

Members of the learning and counseling faculty have teamed with adults from the Laboratory Schools’ family life extended day program to offer virtual study halls each weekday. U-High students can register for sessions now by asking their advisers, according to learning coordinator Laura Doto.

“A lot of competent and capable students are really struggling. So what is developmentally appropriate is to create some structure, time and space for students to be productive and remain independent,” Ms. Doto said. “I would encourage students to join if they feel they would benefit from a structured time to complete work.”

During virtual study halls, students can complete work from any school subject and go into breakout rooms with proctors if they need help.

“Proctors come from family life programs who are already in the community, but they usually work with younger children. They expressed not only an interest, but a desire to work with high schoolers,” Ms. Doto said. “Our rule is going to be eight students per proctor.”

The study halls will be held on Mondays and Fridays from 12:30-2 p.m.; Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:15-4:30 p.m.; and Wednesdays from 12:30-2 pm and 3:15-4:30 p.m.

Illinois residents mandated to maintain social distance or wear a mask

Illinois Governor J.B. Pritzker extended a modified stay-at-home order through May 30 and beginning May 1 mandated the use of a mask or other face covering when people are outside their home and cannot maintain a six-foot social distance.

Masks will be required for anyone who can breathe comfortably with a mask on and is over age 2. 

People are mandated to wear masks while shopping at essential businesses, picking up food, traveling on public transportation and visiting health care providers. Although wearing a mask at other times is recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Illinoisans do not have to wear a mask when walking or jogging in their neighborhood or during outdoor activities on their property.

“I would recommend somebody go online and just type in homemade mask or homemade face covering and they are, you know, they’re much less expensive than trying to buy one online,” Gov. Pritzker said during the press conference on April 23, where he announced the new mandate.