Your guide to upcoming virtual musical, theatrical performances

NPR

NPR’s Tiny Desk concerts are one of the many virtual concert options provided throughout the pandemic.

An Ngo, Reporter

While the coronavirus pandemic cancelled or indefinitely postponed many in person events, a lot of venues are taking their shows online. Here are some upcoming shows that the Lab community may be interested in.

Virtual Labstock (U-High students)

Labstock, an event organized by Student Council at the end of each year, usually takes place outside in Kenwood Mall with hot dogs and student performances, but this year it’s moving online. Student Council has asked students to submit song recommendations to be shared with the high school. The event will be a Zoom call with students performing live on a date to be announced.  

Play it Forward: Piano Concerts

The Lang Lang is holding a virtual concert series through the pandemic. (Lang Lang foundation)

The Lang Lang Foundation, formed by renowned pianist Lang Lang, aims to help children all around the world. An important part of the foundation is the Young Scholars Program, which is made up of a small group of talented artists under the age of 16. The young musicians perform at schools, hospitals, museums and other public venues as part of the Play It Forward initiative. Because of the coronavirus epidemic, this is no longer possible so the performances have moved online. Every Friday at 11 a.m. (noon Eastern), the foundation releases a performance on their Instagram @langlangfoundation

“It definitely reduces the stress for me but I wouldn’t give up being able to perform around the world for anything,” said Joshua Mhoon, a junior at Whitney Young Magnet High School and who is a part of the Young Scholars Program. Joshua’s piano performance will be released May 22 and at 11:30 a.m., he will have a live Q&A.

NPR Tiny Desk Concerts

Since 2008, the desk of Bob Boilen, the host of “All Songs Considered,” has been graced with performances by a diverse group of miscellaneous musicians. The concerts are beloved by fans for their intimacy and simplicity. Fans are given the opportunity to hear their favorite artists without a roaring crowd or studio tricks. Though the concerts can no longer be filmed inside the NPR offices, musicians have recorded themselves performing from home, simultaneously changing but keeping the idea of intimacy alive for the concerts. All concerts that were recorded before the coronavirus epidemic are available on the NPR website and YouTube channel.

Broadway on Demand

Many theater lovers were dismayed when Broadway shut down abruptly mid-March, but on May 17 the new streaming service Broadway on Demand was launched so anyone can now watch the live-recorded performances from the safety of their home. The service also offers educational and interactive content. To view, make a free membership to the website which gives access to a variety of shows which are live every day from morning to evening, except for Sundays. The schedule can be found on the platform. The streaming service also has an app available.

“Broadway On Demand (BOD) is a gathering place for both theatre lovers and theatre makers to celebrate, commune and share their passion for the form,” reads the Broadway on Demand website.