Illinois students over age 16 eligible to become election judges for Nov. 3 election

Chicago Board of Elections

Juniors and seniors can apply to become a poll worker in the upcoming election.

Berk Oto, Managing Editor

Are you looking to make up to $230 and help American democracy in one day? Illinois high school students over age 16 are eligible to apply to become a student election judge for the Nov. 3 election. Judges are expected to help voters and supervise polling place activity.

To qualify as a Chicago election judge, a student must be 16 before election day; live in Cook County; maintain at least a 3.0 grade point average; be a United States citizen; read, write and speak English fluently; complete a judge training course and have written consent from their school principal and a parent or legal guardian.

Chicago election judges must arrive at the polling place they are assigned to by 5 a.m. and stay until the precinct votes are counted and transmitted after polls close at 7 p.m. to receive $170. Students will receive an additional $60 if they complete an online training program before Election Day.

“It’s important because a lot of our poll workers are of the age where coronavirus is more risky for them, because they’re old,” said Eliza Doss, a senior who will be an election judge next month. “So think it’s really important for young people to get out there. And I think it’s good experience.”