More positive COVID-19 cases at in-person school

Colin Leslie, Reporter

Two more people involved in in-person activities at the Laboratory Schools tested positive for COVID-19, according to a Lab email sent by lead nurse Kristen Szewczyk on Oct. 19. To protect the privacy rights of the individuals who tested positive, their identities were not released, and the email does not state whether they are students, employees or other adults.

“We are coordinating our efforts with the University’s Contact Tracing team and the Chicago Department of Public Health to identify and monitor individuals who have had close contact with the COVID-19 positive individual(s) to help prevent further spread within our school and community,” the email stated.

According to the email, Laboratory Schools employees will contact the people who are determined by the University of Chicago’s Contact Tracing Team to have had close contact with the individuals who tested positive. 

People who are determined to have had close contact with the individuals who tested positive will be advised to quarantine for 14 days and receive a COVID-19 test between five to nine days after they were exposed, according to the email.

The two new positive tests are the first to be reported by Lab since another Lab email sent by Ms. Szewczyk on Oct. 15 notified families about the first positive test.