Virtual panel to inform participants about upcoming presidential election

William+Howell%2C+chair+of+the+political+science+department+at+the+University+of+Chicago%2C+will+moderate+the+virtual+panel+discussing+the+upcoming+presidential+election.+

Panel registration form

William Howell, chair of the political science department at the University of Chicago, will moderate the virtual panel discussing the upcoming presidential election.

Amanda Cassel, Editor-in-Chief

In the days following the presidential election, students will have two opportunities to hear from University of Chicago social science experts.

The University of Chicago Alumni Association will host a virtual panel of faculty social science experts on Zoom from 6:30-8 p.m. on Nov. 5. 

The panelists will share their observations and analyses of the election and its effects. William Howell, chair of the political science department and a Lab parent, will moderate the discussion. Mr. Howell answered election-related questions for U-High students at an assembly Oct. 21. 

It’s really important to become well-informed citizens.

— Cindy Jurisson

Members of the Lab and UChicago Charter School community can sign up for free if they select “Other” under “Affiliation” on the signup.

According to history teacher Cindy Jurisson, this panel will show students how to stay informed about elections and political issues.

“It’s really important to become well-informed citizens,” Dr. Jurisson said, “but given the increasing polarization of mainstream news media, and the proliferation of fake news, it’s become increasingly difficult for everyone to actually do that. This is a great chance to hear from thoughtful UChicago scholars who have done years of substantive research on politics, governance, legislation, voter behavior, etc. In other words, credible research rather than clickbait.”

Principals Daena Adams of Charter and Paul Beekmeyer will also host a post-election question-and-answer session for Charter and U-High students at 3:30 p.m. on Nov. 4 with University of Chicago political scientists Mark Hansen and Daniel Abebe. Students can register with their school email address up to two hours before the start of the session.