Season wrap-up: Golf team enjoys company of teammates, looks forward to competition

Chloe Ma

Cyrus Esmailzadeh, a golfer at U-High, steadies his golf club as he prepares to putt the ball towards the hole from outside the green in the midst of the ISL tournament.

Adrianna Nehme, Reporter

Although coronavirus restrictions hampered the golf season, members of the golf team still enjoyed the company of their teammates and looked forward to the days they would compete.

Following the University of Chicago protocols, the golf team couldn’t compete in any matches until their Independent School League tournament on Sept. 29. With minimal practice time, coach Marco Fajardo was surprised that the boys’ team placed seventh overall, and the girls’ team placed second overall. Captain Emily Chang placed first overall.

“We really had no idea whether we were going to be allowed to compete at all this year so initially our thoughts were it was just going to be a year of practice, and that’s it,” Coach Fajardo said. 

Members of the girls golf team made individual decisions to not participate in further competitions due to an illness some experienced unrelated to COVID-19. The boys golf team placed fourth in regionals, and freshman Charlie Henger continued to sectionals and won first place.

Charlie’s experience at sectionals was rewarding, especially after practicing golf for over 100 hours this summer. 

I was excited and once again really proud to have my hard work pay off. I just tried to be in the moment and be grateful for the opportunities given to me.

— Charlie Henger

“I was excited and once again really proud to have my hard work pay off,” Charlie said. “I just tried to be in the moment and be grateful for the opportunities given to me.”

There was no state tournament for the golf team this year, which was disappointing for Emily.

“I have never won state before, I’ve gone every year, and I think I have been top 10 every year,” Emily said. “I had my best season so far, so I was looking to go to state and hopefully win one last year.”

With the lack of competition, Emily said that it could be hard to stay motivated, so she valued the team’s ability to push one another during practices. 

Emily said, “It was fun to create competition within our team a little bit to generate motivation that wouldn’t necessarily be there in a season like this.”