Students ask questions about hybrid learning to faculty, administration

Students+raise+questions+about+hybrid+learning+including+topics+such+as+checking+temperature%2C+switching+between+hybrid+and+distance+learning+and+the+restrictive+nature+of+the+hybrid+plan+during+lunch+meetings+on+Feb.+18+and+19.+

Ana Campos

Students raise questions about hybrid learning including topics such as checking temperature, switching between hybrid and distance learning and the restrictive nature of the hybrid plan during lunch meetings on Feb. 18 and 19.

Adrianna Nehme, Assistant Editor

“How will Phys Ed classes be conducted?”, “What does contact tracing look like if a student has COVID-19?” and “Will we be able to charge our laptops?” were a few student questions about the hybrid program that filled the Zoom chat box during lunch Feb.18 and 19.

The meeting began with a slideshow that reiterated information from the hybrid plan posted Feb. 16. Students then asked questions, which were answered by members of the high school administration and faculty who have been working on the hybrid plan.

Students asked if they were allowed to switch out of the hybrid or distance learning program once already enrolled. According to Principal Paul Beekmeyer, while it is not guaranteed, May 10 is the first day that students can make the switch from distance to hybrid learning. The administration will inform students about the process to switch from hybrid to distance learning. Students cannot go back and forth between the two.

“We understand that reasons may happen, and we get it, but we do want that stability because do think about all the many moving pieces we try to manage,” Mr. Beekmeyer said during the meeting. “The less moving pieces we have, the better it is for all of us, especially the teachers trying to organize the classes.”

Students then questioned why temperature checks weren’t being taken, and according to nurse Mary Toledo-Treviño, the cold weather would provide inaccurate results. Parents will be asked to fill out daily symptom screening forms by 8 a.m., where they do the temperature checks at home.

“It’s a really strong collaborative effort, and so by you being honest about where you are at physically, where your health is at and your inability to be at school because you are not feeling well is what allows the rest of us in the community to stay safe,” Ms.Toledo-Trevino said. 

Students also asked about the benefits of hybrid learning considering its restrictive nature. Science department chair Zachary Hund responded to the question as it was one of his concerns when hybrid learning was announced. 

“I got the chance to see 10 juniors, most of which I don’t even know or didn’t know before, for an in-person event, and it was awesome,” Dr. Hund said. “It was just so great to see people outside of my normal immediate family, and I think you are going to feel the same.”