He’s kind of a big Dill

Teammates and coach admire perseverance and self-motivation of senior James Dill

Nikhil Patel, Reporter

At a major tennis tournament in Peoria in late April, none of the other teams’ coaches knew who senior James Dill was. Even the way he warmed up was unassuming. But when the matches started, he performed on a level that shocked the other teams.

Sophie Hinerfeld
BEST FOOT FORWARD. James Dill warms up before a practice. James currently competes as second singles, and is a four-year member of the boys tennis team. Although he doesn’t hold an official leadership role on the team, he chooses to lead by example through a notable work ethic and a unique calmness on the court. He plans to continue playing tennis at Oberlin College, where he’ll be a freshman.

“One of the other coaches came up to me and said, ‘I’ll be happy when he graduates so that he won’t be a competitor,’” Head Coach Dawuad Talib said. “The team looks at him as a cornerstone of varsity.”

A talented player at second singles, James plans to continue playing while attending Oberlin College and Conservatory next year. Along with his skills, James’ coach and teammates find him to be a great example of what to emulate in the game, even though he doesn’t have an official leadership role.

“He’s a leader on the team, and he’s always been a leader on the team since he’s been in the team,” Coach Talib said. “Although it’s not necessarily in title, all the kids know him, all the kids like him. Even in his quiet way, he leads more by example than by anything verbal.”

James knows this and focuses on playing the best he can in order to encourage newer players to follow him.

“I’m not necessarily a leader,” James said. “I try to play like a star player and, more than be a leader, I try to lead more by example.”

According to his teammates, James has a lot of qualities that new players should imitate. Sophomore  Arjun Asokumar, one of the team’s captains, admires James’ work ethic.

“James is super motivated. He really knows how to persevere,” Arjun said. “James is a tremendously driven athlete, and he’s awesome to be around.”

As is the case with many talented players, James has a unique approach to the game that’s impossible to miss. Coach Talib loves how good James is at staying calm on the court.

“The most unique aspect of his approach to the game is how he self-manages,” Coach Talib said. “Sometimes, he’s super hard on himself, and you can see that on the court. And then, because he knows himself well, he reels it in and finds a way to regain his center on the level he needs to win.”

James is an integral member of the tennis team, and he will be missed.

Sometimes, he’s super hard on himself, and you can see that on the court. And then, because he knows himself well, he reels it in and finds a way to regain his center on the level he needs to win.

— Dawuad Talib, Head Coach

“You can almost always depend on a W, a victory, a win,” Coach Talib said. “He’s easily one of the best players on the team, and an excellent leader.”

James’ presence affected everyone on the team. His skills and his mentality during matches bring out the best in his teammates, who know that they can depend on James in tough spots.

“He’s a beacon for the kids who might not have the confidence that he has,” Coach Talib continued. “They see it in him and he brings it out in the other players. Whether they are freshmen or on varsity themselves, they know that James has come to play.”