Four Lab alumni named finalists for seven national journalism awards

A+student+reads+the+October+print+edition+of+the+Midway%2C+which+has+four+Class+of+2022+alumni+selected+as+finalists+for+seven+national+awards.+

Matt Petres

A student reads the October print edition of the Midway, which has four Class of 2022 alumni selected as finalists for seven national awards.

Taariq Ahmed, Reporter

Four journalism alumni from the Class of 2022 have been named finalists for seven national awards for a news story and photos published over the last school year.

The finalists for the awards from the National Scholastic Press Association are:

Andrew Burke-Stevenson: Photo of the Year, environmental portrait; Photo of the Year, feature; Photo of the Year, sports game/action; and Digital Story of the Year, photo slideshow

Peter Pu: Story of the Year, news

Elliott Taylor: Photo of the Year, environmental portrait

Malcolm Taylor: Photo of the Year, news

In 2021, Elliott Taylor received first place in the news photo category and second place in the feature photo category.

Photojournalism adviser Jayna Rumble worked with all of the photojournalist finalists. Ms. Rumble said she feels the recognized work is evidence that commitment toward the program can reap significant benefits.

“I’m feeling so proud of the work that the students did last year and kind of just proud of how the program has progressed in the last few years,” Ms. Rumble said. “I was really able to see them demonstrate a lot of growth through the couple of years or three years that they were in the program.”

The placement for each individual award winner will be announced at the JEA/NSPA Fall National High School Journalism Convention in St. Louis on Nov. 12.