New athletics director to be selected by spring

Henry Benton

Lab has begun searching for a new athletics director and hopes to select the candidate shortly. David Ribbens, Lab’s director of athletics for two decades, will retire.

Mia Lipson, Assistant Editor

The search for a new Laboratory Schools athletics director has begun. Lab’s director of 20 years, David Ribbens, will retire at the end of the school year.  

The committee, comprised of faculty, coaches, parents and administrators, has not yet determined a fixed deadline for selecting the candidate. Still, committee member Ryan Allen, middle school principal, said he hopes to select a candidate by the spring. 

Mr. Allen believes the new director should view Lab’s athletics as co-curricular, rather than simply extracurricular.

“We’re looking for someone that has the vision to bring that holistic approach to our community,” said Mr. Allen “When we think about academics, athletics and arts, we’re looking for someone that can really help the athletic program complement the educational experience.” 

Though the committee has not yet determined requirements for the position, Mr. Allen and Mr. Ribbens both hope that the new director will possess experience working with independent schools which reflect the Lab community and its large athletics department, which includes more than 600 athletes across grades 6-12. The program will also expand to include new athletic programs at the lower school.

When reflecting on his time at Lab, Mr. Ribbens appreciates the ways the department has grown over the years. 

“When you leave, you hope the program continues to do well,” Mr. Ribbens said. “In this position and especially from the pandemic, I learned that our teams are far more than just the wins and the losses, they’re also about having friends, having relationships with students, and having the experiences together.”