Mentor program helps new students adjust

Last year’s new students impart their knowledge

MENTORING+NEWBIES.+Sophomores+Danny+Han%2C+Marcus+Chang+and+Adi+Badlani+speak+to+a+Danny%E2%80%99s+mentee+about+his+transition+to+high+school.+They+met+during+a+lunch+in+Judd+Hall+as+part+of+the+new+mentorship+program+to+help+freshmen+adjust+to+life+at+U-High.+

Emerson Wright

MENTORING NEWBIES. Sophomores Danny Han, Marcus Chang and Adi Badlani speak to a Danny’s mentee about his transition to high school. They met during a lunch in Judd Hall as part of the new mentorship program to help freshmen adjust to life at U-High.

Audrey Matzke, Assistant Editor

Kenwood Mall. The Caf. GPAH. Most “Lab lifers” take this shared vocabulary of slang for granted. However, for a new-to-Lab ninth grader already finding it difficult to integrate into U-High’s tight-knit friend groups, terms like these can be disorienting.

Hoping to make their mentees’ transitions smoother than their own were, many of last year’s new freshmen are participating in a new mentor program helping incoming freshmen understand Lab traditions, and make their way into the community.

When sophomore Sanaa Imami first came to U-High last year, she found the size of her new school disorienting. To add to her confusion, each location seemed to have its own nickname or acronym.

“I didn’t know what GPAH was, I didn’t know what Kenwood Mall was, and I definitely think having a resource to ask questions is really important for incoming freshmen,” Sanaa, a mentor, said.

Sanaa’s mentee Adrianna Nehme was, at first, similarly confused by the vocabulary of U-High slang. Sanaa helped her learn terms, such as “the Point” and “the Midway.”

Difficulty navigating the U-High social scene is a common theme among mentors who were new to Lab as freshmen. Some of their new classmates have been in school together for years.

“The biggest transition for me last year was trying to find where I stood socially, especially because everybody already knew each other,” mentor Destiney Williamson said.

In order to help her mentee make friends, Destiney encouraged him to attend Black Students’ Association, a club she also attends.

“Clubs are really beneficial, especially since they help you get to know students in other grades,” Destiney said.

Living 30 minutes away from campus, Adrianna is already at a social and logistical disadvantage. Although she has time on weekends, it isn’t always easy to plan afterschool get-togethers with her new U-High friends, many of whom live in Hyde Park. After getting Sanaa’s contact information, she felt relieved to have another student to talk to.

Adrianna said, “It was really nice to know her name and get her Snapchat and Instagram.”