From underdogs to winners: debate duo’s synergy leads to success
Tao, Carter to lead 2024-25 Student Council

Midway staff, individuals recognized as national award finalists

The U-High Midway is a finalist for The Pacemaker, a top national award, while individual students from the Midway and U-Highlights are finalists for 10 national awards. 

The Midway is a Pacemaker finalist for the fifth time in a row, with 16 previous finalist nominations. The prestigious Pacemaker Award is set to be announced on Nov. 4, and the Midway is among 54 schools to receive this recognition for its dedication for excellence in student journalism.

Midway Editor-in-Chief Audrey Park expressed her pride in the journalism program.

“The awards are definitely a reflection of the amount of work the staff puts in. I’m very proud of the members on the team for all their hard work,” Audrey said. “It’s very rewarding, and it’s definitely the energy that we want to continue for years to come. And for this year especially, we have things planned, and this is definitely something we can achieve again.”

A spread in the 2023 U-Highlights received an award for Design of the Year: Yearbook spread. 

Amy Ji, U-Highlights editor-in-chief, is grateful for the team’s award.

Amy said, “We’re all super proud of getting this award and seeing it all come together. I would say this is one of the hardest spreads we worked on, mainly because it was challenging coming up with ideas on how we can fit in the words and interviews we got from students.”

The full list of award finalists includes: