U-High alumnus to give Princeton salutatorian speech in Latin
Makeup and misinformation: Social media has lasting effects on preteen skincare

Math team places third in competition

Aubrey Felsen
The math team placed third out of the five teams competing in the North Suburban Math League competition in Evanston on Sept. 28.

Many members feel that while the academic aspect of the team is enjoyable and fulfilling, the main thing that makes participation fun is the social and community element.

“The tests aren’t actually that challenging, so it’s not like you had to worry too much about preparing,” sophomore Ling Xie said. “And a lot of my friends were there, so we can, like, talk about it a lot. The overall team aspect is just really fun.”

Sonakshi Mutreja, the junior captain of the math team, looks forward to more experiences in and out of competitive settings with her team. 

“I am very happy with all the effort and hard work put in by all our team members for our first meet of the year,” Sonakshi said. “Our team performed really well. Competitions are valuable learning experiences, and there’s always room for improvement, but I’m so excited for all there is to come this year.”

Sonakshi also believes that the best part of being the junior captain of the team is the opportunity to “give back to the community.” She feels that being on the math team has played a big role in her experience and has helped shape who she is.

“Math team teaches you about collaboration, hard work, and perseverance, and I am looking forward to continue to foster an environment that is fun and welcoming for all.”