UChicago pro-Palestine encampment faces opposition yet stands with goals
Known for vibrant personality, Heavenly Hicks welcomes students, provides support

Athletic Approach: In first year, new trainer establishes relationships with student athletes

Eli Raikhel
The JV boys soccer team is dismissed early in order to make it to their game on time. Student-athletes struggle missing class when homework, assessments and lessons are dispersed throughout their day.

The second school ends, a stream of student athletes is seen heading to the gym building and locker rooms. After getting into their sports uniforms, about half of these athletes stop by the training room. The loud beat of music bursts from speakers, weights clink as students slam them to the ground or place them back on the rack, the squeak of sneakers echo as students ride bikes, run on treadmills or climb the ellipticals. 

But the great majority of athletes wait eagerly and sometimes anxiously in a line for the reassuring attention of Hannah McCarrell. 

In her first year as U-High’s new athletic trainer, Ms. McCarrell has already encouraged and inspired numerous student athletes with the positive and motivational style she brings to the fitness room. 

Ms. McCarrell grew up in the training room. Her father was a football coach, and she said she spent every free moment either on the sidelines or in the weight and training rooms. As she got older she started spending more and more time in the training room as she found herself enjoying the atmosphere.

The moment Ms. McCarrell knew that she wanted to pursue being an athletic trainer was after she suffered a serious injury in high school.

“I played volleyball in high school and I got injured, I got a concussion and I didn’t tell anyone,” Ms. McCarrell said. “I played through it, and then I was told I wasn’t allowed to play sports anymore.” 

Ms. McCarrell then started working alongside her high school’s athletic trainer. This work solidified her desire to pursue the career. 

“You’re around sports all the time, and you’re helping people,” Ms. McCarrell said. “I also enjoyed the competitive aspect of trying to get someone back out on the court or field.”

Ms. McCarrell hopes that her relationship with students is more than just clinical. She wants to be a resource for students to come and talk to, not just about injuries, but about their day-to-day life. She believes that having a good relationship with students as an athletic trainer is getting to know them personally, rather than just by their injuries.

“I want them to view me as someone who’s always in their corner,” she said. “I think that’s the most important to me is making sure they know that they’re supported, and I’m here to support them in any way I can.”

Sophomore Mo Iyi-Ojo has been working with Ms. McCarrell this soccer season while he is recovering from an injury. He appreciates the way she guides athletes through their recovery and believes her approach to be a significant part of the recovery process.

“When she’s taping people up she’s talking to them, guiding them through it,” Mo explained. 

Mo also appreciates how she holds him and other athletes accountable.

“She’s been helping me work out, helping me keep my fitness up, even when I don’t want to — encouraging me, not just telling me, or leaving me to go do it,” Mo said. “She makes sure I do it but also makes it fun.” 

Senior Sophia Shahul has had a similar experience to Mo while dealing with her own volleyball injuries.

“I feel like she’s very personal. She creates bonds with every single one of the athletes,” Sophia said. “She really has a personal stake in every one of our lives. She really is right there with us as we’re recovering.”

Sophia said Ms. McCarrell’s positive attitude and bond with every athlete makes it feel as though she’s bringing a lot of the teams and athletes together.

“She builds this sense of solidarity in athletes that we’re all in it together,” Sophia said. “With me and a lot of athletes, she even has us do a lot of training together.”

Ms. McCarrell has only been at U-High for a few months, but her effect on athletes is already noticeable and profound. 

“I hope this athletic training room is a safe space for everyone,” Ms. McCarrell said. “I love being here, and don’t plan on leaving anytime soon.”