From underdogs to winners: debate duo’s synergy leads to success
Tao, Carter to lead 2024-25 Student Council

Club sponsors book collection for incarcerated people

Lucy Byrnes
A student drops a book in the book collection drive for incarcerated people, sponsored by the Intersectional Feminism Club. Donations will be accepted through Nov. 1 in the high school lobby.

Books are being collected for incarcerated people, sponsored by the Intersectional Feminism Club, through Nov. 1 in the high school lobby.

According to club member Cassia Collins, the club members are collecting books to be sent to the Midwest Books to Prisoners Book Drive, an organization that provides educational access and quality materials to people who are incarcerated. 

All types of books except for children’s books are welcome. 

This is the second year in a row the club has sponsored this drive. Stella Sturgill, a club co-leader, said she was inspired to involve the club in this book drive by the Misdwest Books to Prisoners organization. 

“It seemed like a small thing I could do that would make a big difference for a lot of people,” Stella said. 

Stella said the club is sponsoring this event because a main goal of the club is to “appreciate complicated issues from all perspectives.”

The book drive is also related to the abolition feminism movement, which Stella said was “founded on the basis of creating space for unseen and neglected experiences.”

View Comments (1)