U-High alumnus to give Princeton salutatorian speech in Latin
Makeup and misinformation: Social media has lasting effects on preteen skincare

Volleyball season ends at sectional semifinals

Delaney Connell
The volleyball team ended its 2023 season with an 18-13 record after competing in the IHSA sectional semifinals at Southland College Prep on Oct. 30, where Kankakee’s Bishop McNamara High School beat the Maroons 2-0.

Previously, on Oct. 26, the team won the IHSA regional finals 2-0 against Woodlawn High at CICS Longwood High School.  

During the season, the team won the regional championship, placed third in the Lake Park tournament and raised almost $3,000 for breast cancer charity at its Dig Pink event.  

Ella Cohen-Richie, one of the three senior captains, noticed how the team bonded throughout the year. 

“Considering we lost quite a few veteran seniors last year, I think everyone really came together in a very positive and good way,” Ella said. 

The team had to work together to build a new community and gained three new ninth graders. 

“It took a little bit of time building the team chemistry,” Ella said. “But definitely, by the end, I think we did a really good job.”

Despite being a new team member, ninth grader Zora Peek-Taylor felt very included in the team environment. 

“The coaches did a really good job in having everyone be heard,” Zora said. “And I think the team members also did a really good job at making everyone feel welcome.”