More than 700 people attend U-High Open House

LEARNING+ABOUT+LAB.+Prospective+families+and+students+fill+the+ground+floor+and+most+of+the+balcony+in+the+Gordon+Parks+Assembly+Hall+during+the+Admissions+Open+House+Oct.+27.+They+listened+to+presentations+about+Labs+curriculum+and+its+resources+for+students.+

photo provided by Zainab Baig

LEARNING ABOUT LAB. Prospective families and students fill the ground floor and most of the balcony in the Gordon Parks Assembly Hall during the Admissions Open House Oct. 27. They listened to presentations about Lab’s curriculum and its resources for students.

Otto Brown

More than 700 people, including around 250 prospective students, attended Open House in the Gordon Parks Assembly Hall Oct. 27, according to Assistant Director of Admissions Kerry Tulson.

“We anticipate having 15 to 20 available spots for the incoming freshman class,” Ms. Tulson said. “Last year we admitted 29 new freshmen. When the expansion was going on, we were admitting up to 60 students for just the freshman class.”

Faculty members were on hand to showcase individual departments and answer questions about Lab’s curriculum and resources for students. Families also had the opportunity to sit in on rehearsal for the fall theater production.

Student Council President Shiva Menta and sophomore Destiney Williamson spoke during the event, offering prospective students and their families a glimpse into the life of U-High students. The jazz band and Bel Canto choir also performed during the event.

“We want to admit kids who are proactive and who will be opinionated and share their thoughts. And kids who are kind,” Ms. Tulson said. “When we look at applicants, we stress that they have to be good community members.”