Science Olympiad begins competition season with strong results

Olin Nafziger
On Dec. 2, the Science Olympiad teams competed at the Harlem High School Invitational in Rockford. The varsity team placed second and the junior varsity team placed seventh.

The Science Olympiad teams started the competition season off strong at the Harlem High School Invitational in Rockford, where the varsity team placed second and the junior varsity team placed seventh on Dec. 2.

Maxine Hurst, junior captain, said she was very proud of the team’s results.

“Almost everybody placed and got medals in the competition, which is always something that we always like to see,” Maxine said. “We were going up against some pretty tough teams, so we definitely held our own. I’m feeling really optimistic about how we’re going to grow and move forward for the rest of the season.”

Despite struggles with transportation, the teams were able to make it to the competition in time for their events.

“We arrived around 30 minutes after the first event started, which wasn’t ideal, but we managed to recover,” Maxine said. “I think the results are a really good omen for the rest of the season. This is my third year, and this is probably the most confident I have been.”