Get ready for… Cicadapalooza!
Explainer: 10 ways to get to know cicadas

Ouroboros Review accepting student submissions through March 6

The+Ouroboros+Review%2C+the+U-High+literary+translation+journal%2C+is+accepting+student+submissions+through+March+6.+
Grace LaBelle
The Ouroboros Review, the U-High literary translation journal, is accepting student submissions through March 6.

The Ouroboros Review, the U-High literary translation journal, is accepting student submissions through March 6. Students can email Maja Teref, Ouroboros Review faculty adviser, to be featured in the journal.  

The Ouroboros Review seeks submissions of students’ poems that are their own translations or reinterpretations of existing works of literature.  

The Ouroboros Review, taking its name from the ancient Egyptian symbol of the cycle of life and rebirth, has been a U-High tradition for six years. 

“[The Ouroboros] was originally created by a group of students who called themselves the founding mothers,” Ms. Teref said.

Each year the magazine staff works diligently to sort through each poetry submission it receives.

“The process is different every year,” Daisy Juarez, a junior staff member, said. “We have to sort every submission from students themselves, or sometimes we sort through the submissions teachers give us from assignments they receive from students,”

In past years, the staff has held competitions to have a poem selected to be a part of that year’s review. 

This year, the Ouroboros will be hosting a mad libs workshop for ArtsFest, where some poems may be published in this year’s review. 

Since last year, the Ouroboros staff has been striving to make the magazine more accessible to more members of the community. 

“Since Lab is such a diverse place, I feel like we should expand our perspectives and languages in our poems because Lab has so many different cultures here,” Daisy said.  

Daisy also hopes to try and open more submissions to faculty and potentially even some Lab middle schoolers or lower school students.

“The Ouroboros will continue to spread translations of literature for students to maintain their heritage or languages and for students to learn more about a culture they may not know so much about,” Ms. Teref said.